How much do you know about the history of Memorial Day? Did you know it was originally called Decoration Day, or that it started as a holiday to remember soldiers lost during the Civil War? Memorial Day became a federal holiday in 1971, but long before the official date was set, Americans celebrated and honored military members who died while serving in the U.S. military.
Don’s Johns is a proud supporter of many local military events
At Don’s Johns, we love supporting our military through local events and volunteer groups. We have supplied portable restrooms for past races like the Marine Corps Marathon and the Army Ten-Miler. We’re also proud supporters of the Wounded Warrior Games hosted by Willing Warriors, and we’ve been on site for the Air Show at Joint Base Andrew’s. Recently, we provided emergency services for Arlington National Cemetery so they could keep the cemetery operating, and in December we helped them with Wreaths Across America.
Marine Corps Marathon
This year, Don’s Johns will be providing portable restrooms for Rolling Thunder, an annual motorcycle rally held in D.C. Their mission is to educate, facilitate and never forget by means of a demonstration for service members who were abandoned after the Vietnam War. Over 100,000 people come out to show their support, and we’re proud to be a part of that crowd again this year.
Memorial Day also marks the unofficial start of summer. So while many people spend the weekend participating in parades or visiting memorial sites, other popular activities for the weekend include barbeques, pool parties or heading to the beach. For those hosting parties at home, we offer a variety of portable restroom units to ensure maximum guest satisfaction and eliminate time spent waiting in line for a restroom.
How do you plan on spending your Memorial Day?
We’d love to hear about any special traditions or new plans you’ve made for this year! Our team will be enjoying the day off, but we’ll be doing deliveries before the weekend to help the Washington, D.C. metro area celebrate. How ever you decide to celebrate, keep an eye out for our portable restroom units.
Thank you to all who have served in the U.S. military! We are grateful for your service and honor your dedication to our country. Happy Memorial Day everyone!
We give you some of the most popular running sites in DC, Maryland and Virginia
At Don’s Johns, we love the running community in DC, Maryland and Virginia. That’s why we always service races like the Army 10-Miler, Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run and shorter races hosted by Pacers Running and Potomac River Running. But what about the runners who are training for those races and need scenic trails, or who run just for the joy of it? We’ve got you covered too!
With more than 800 miles of trails in the DC region, runners are guaranteed to see Don’s Johns along their route. Some of the most popular running trails in the area include:
National Mall: The National Mall is an incredibly popular trail for both natives and tourists. It offers historical views in the heart of DC such as the Capitol Building, the Memorial Bridge and the Lincoln Memorial.
C&O Canal: The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Trail runs along the Potomac River from DC to MD. With a surface of clay and crushed stone, it’s a popular spot for hikers and bikers as well. Although it occasionally gets crowded, it’s a great trail for beginners.
Capital Crescent Trail: Built on an abandoned railroad track and partially paved, this trail also connects DC and Maryland. Runners often see deer, foxes and other wildlife along this 11-mile trail.
Rock Creek Trail: A winding path that flows toward the Potomac River, Rock Creek Trail is popular with joggers looking for a quiet run. With paths that are not always well marked and include unexpected side paths, this trail keeps things interesting.
These are just a few of the many trails runners can enjoy in the DMV area. For more paths in DC, check out these five routes not to miss. You can also get a breakdown of the best trails based on length and views, and TrailLink gives you access to all the running trails in Maryland.
Did we miss your favorite trail? Have you seen a Don’s Johns along your run in the area? Let us know and we’ll be sure to update our list because at Don’s Johns, our main goal is to keep you happy while on the go.
Family businesses like Don’s Johns are an often overlooked form of ownership, yet they are all around us and provide invaluable support to local economies like ours. That is why the Washington Business Journal is spotlighting the region’s best at the Family-Owned Business Awards this month. We are proud to announce we have been selected as an honoree for this award, which honors the top multi-generational, family-owned business in our region for overall excellence, innovation, ethics and philanthropy!
So what makes us one of the top family-owned businesses in the area? Here are just a few of the many reasons why:
- Our History: Don’s Johns, Inc. was established in 1964 by Thelma and Don Rainwater as a small septic company. Their business was one of the first portable toilet companies in the nation and in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. The first toilets were built of wood and constructed as quickly as the orders came in. Over the past 50 years, Don’s Johns has come a long way from the original wooden outhouse.
- Present Day: Don’s Johns is still 100% family owned and has been passed down for three generations. Kristie Harrell, Chief Executive Officer, joined Don’s Johns full time in 1992. She is the granddaughter of founders Don and Thelma Rainwater and started helping at Don’s Johns from the age of 10 stuffing envelopes for billing.
- Who We Serve: We are a proud supplier of sanitation services to the biggest names in sports, government and private industry in the Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC area. Each year, we service hundreds of construction sites including the MGM site at National Harbor to emergency services throughout the region.
- Philanthropic Involvement: Don’s Johns is a proud supporter and supplier of the Marine Corps Marathon, local volunteer fire departments, Willing Warriors and dozens of charity runs and events.
We are proud to have been one of the first temporary restroom companies on the East Coast. For more than 50 years, being family-owned has helped us live by our motto “Our People Make a Difference” because it means treating employees the same way we would treat family. We strive to be a leader in our industry with how employees are compensated, and look forward to many more years of regional success as the “go to” company for sanitation services!
Are you looking for a new job? Don’s Johns is a local, family-owned business that has been an industry leader for over 50 years. Our team is comprised of long-term employees who are dedicated to creating and maintaining solid business relationships through superior service. Plus, we have fun while we work and love serving the area together as a team.
At Don’s Johns, the motto is “Our people make the difference.” Our customer testimonials speak to the quality of our service. To continue this standard of excellence, we are hosting a job fair on Wednesday, February 24, to find qualified candidates to help grow our team. Potential candidates can apply for:
- Professional positions in Sales, Accounting and Operations. Immediate interviews will be offered, so applicants should bring an updated resume.
- Driver positions for CDL and non-CDL drivers. Applicants should bring their current driving record to be considered for an immediate interview. The driver positions offer a $1,500 sign-on bonus for all new drivers.
Give us a call 703-273-7101 x405 or visit our career page http://bit.ly/1WZZcaN for help with questions. We look forward to meeting you!
When: Wednesday, February 24
Where: The Hampton Inn
7300 Atlas Walk Way
Gainesville, VA 20155
With all of the snow the area has gotten recently, it’s hard to think about warmer weather and sunny days. As anyone planning a wedding will tell you, though, those days will be here sooner than you think. So while you’re getting ready to say “I do,” keep in mind these wedding planning do’s and don’ts.
- Do start planning now: Often times it’s easy to focus on the “fun” planning activities such as buying a wedding dress and ordering invitations, but don’t forget about the logistics of planning for guests, including their restroom needs. By calling us early in your planning process, you will get one major to-do out of the way that is hugely important. Haven’t started planning yet? The SCTimes has some great tips to help you start planning your wedding, including prioritizing and being realistic.
- Don’t settle for standard restrooms: Don’s Johns offers quality portable restroom resources that aren’t your typical porta potty experience. Our award-winning luxury trailers are just what you need to impress guests and give your outdoor summer or fall wedding a touch of elegance.
- Do provide us with as many details as possible: Have you found the perfect outdoor venue but there’s one drawback—no outdoor restrooms? The Washington, D.C. metro area is full of beautiful outdoor wedding spaces that will benefit from extra restroom units. This is especially true if you have a large number of guests or alcohol will be served. Our event planning guide will help you estimate how many units will be needed based on attendance, event duration, alcohol served and more.
- Don’t ignore these common wedding mistakes: Planning a wedding is so much fun but often couples jump in too quickly and become overwhelmed. Little items like photographers and favors are just as important as budget and venue. We like Glamour’s wedding section to help with planning, especially their tips on avoiding major planning mistakes.
- Do have fun while planning: This is a great time for you and your significant other! You’re getting ready to start a new journey together, so it takes both of you to plan your wedding. Even if there are snags along the way, just keep thinking like these men who secretly love wedding planning and you’re guaranteed to have the perfect wedding day.
Our main goal is to help make your wedding planning not only easy, but enjoyable. If you’re looking to bring luxury and comfort to your outdoor wedding, call Don’s Johns and start planning with us today!
As we begin 2016, many people are focused on upholding their New Year’s resolutions. These resolutions are a way to start the year on a note of self-improvement and accomplishments. Here at Don’s Johns, our New Year’s resolution is to provide quality service to our many committed customers through reliability, flexibility and superior selection of portable restroom units. To maintain this resolution, we’ll need a little help from you.
Do you have a new construction site opening soon? Know of a major sporting event or road race right around the corner? Let us know as soon as possible so that we can provide you with the proper equipment you need to run your site or event smoothly. As you start your 2016 event and project planning, keep in mind these three tips:
- Plan early: Although it’s been getting colder recently, warm weather is not as far away as we think! It’s time to start planning those spring and summer events now to ensure every detail is thought of, including restrooms for guests and attendees. Check out our special events trailers to give guests the ultimate VIP experience. We also offer a variety of products for construction sites that will keep crews satisfied no matter the project.
- Provide as many details as possible in advance: Our account managers are dedicated to providing you with the best restroom options for your event. By giving us the details of your construction site, road race, wedding or whatever event you are planning as early as possible, you are preparing our teams to help you. Check out our event-planning guide if you need help. Additionally, we often run out of resources for summer events so planning early will guarantee you quality portable restrooms for your special occasion or project.
- Communicate frequently with us: Once your event is planned and the order is placed, please feel free to regularly check in with us regarding the status of your event. Are there last minute changes in the location or amount of people? Let us know and we will work with you to make this part of your planning less stressful.
The Don’s Johns team is excited to be starting a new year and looks forward to working with all new and current customers. We’ll be working hard during 2016 to keep our resolution and wish the best for anyone else on a journey on self-improvement and success!
During December we are hosting a portable restroom holiday competition for construction crews in the DMV area! We want to see how your crew gets in the holiday spirit by decorating our units and sharing your pictures with us. It’s time to bring a little holiday cheer to your construction site with #JollyJohns. Here’s how to participate:
- Decorate: Decorate the Don’s Johns portable restroom unit(s) at your construction site. Suggested items include tinsel, ribbon, lights and more.
- Show Us Your Design: Submit a picture of your decorated units and job site location to @Dons_Johns on Twitter or Don’s Johns on Facebook. Be sure to include #JollyJohns in your submission. The more the merrier!
- What You Could Win: The winner of this competition will win a pizza lunch for your job site and recognition on Don’s Johns’ social media channels. We want to reward your crew for a job well done!
- Deadline: The deadline for submission is December 31. The top five submissions will be selected for voting via social media. Voting will commence January 1 and a winner will be selected by Friday, January 8.
How will you choose to make your portable restrooms more festive?
Good luck to all of our participants! We look forward to seeing our portable restroom units looking festive for the holidays!
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.
It’s time to gear up, football fans! With football season well underway, we are not far away from playoff season and the Super Bowl. Hosting a Super Bowl party is a great way to rally before the big game. There’s music, good food and fellow fans ready to cheer on an exciting game. An often forgotten aspect of Super Bowl parties, though, is the importance of accessible restrooms.
Supporting private events is nothing new for Don’s Johns. We’ve been providing portable restrooms for weddings, special events and sports parties for 50 Years. Consider these insider tips when you throw your Super Bowl party. Don’s Johns can help you provide adequate restroom facilities and sanitation stations to ensure your guest stay longer and cheer harder.
- Assessing your facility needs in advance
Planning a Super Bowl party is harder than most people expect. By ordering Don’s Johns units about two weeks before the party, you can ensure a crucial aspect of your party is handled so you can focus on everything else when the day comes!
Don’s Johns offers standard and deluxe portable restrooms, as well as hand-washing stations with which to pair them. If you plan on providing alcohol at your party, the number of units should be increased by 20%. Use our planning guide or contact us directly to make sure that you are ordering the right number of units before the party. On game day you’ll be worry free and focused on the important tasks like making food and entertaining guests.
- Right before the party…
At a Super Bowl party, preparation matters almost as much as the food and drinks. Starting the day early leaves plenty of time to set up and make sure your Don’s Johns units are delivered and ready. Our luxury trailers have climate-controlled heat and a dual audio system with three flat screen televisions so guests never have to miss a moment of Super Bowl action. After waiting all season for this day, your guest will appreciate not missing a moment of the game or those great Super Bowl commercials!
- Make cleaning up easy
After a long day of cooking and cheering, nobody wants to stay up late to deal with cleaning up. Of course, cleaning up food, plates and decorations is to be expected but what do you do with your Don’s Johns restrooms? All units will be picked up within two business days of receiving a request for a pick-up call or can be scheduled in advance so everyone can relax and enjoy the game.
Let Don’s Johns help you be the envy of other Super Bowl parties on game day. With high-quality units and plenty of portable restroom accessories, this is one item to easily check off the to-do list. Make your Super Bowl party a touchdown with Don’s Johns!
They All Turn to Don’s Johns for Restroom Relief in Emergency Situations
A pipe bursts and leaks, a city shuts down because of a natural disaster, or a water valve needs repair when no one expects it. As utilities, government agencies and first responders move to take action around these scenarios, it’s important to keep in mind the necessity of comfort and hygiene. Having an emergency plan that includes portable restroom facilities is imperative. Whether it’s hand-washing stations, multiple portable restroom units, restroom trailers or shower trailers, a trusted partner that can respond in real time is critical.
Don’s Johns’ has responded to countless emergency events in Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C. and Maryland over the last 50 years, including:
- A long-term gas leak issue in Northern Virginia, which had an immediate need for portable restrooms. Accidents aren’t just for hours, they can occur for days and even weeks. For this site, we delivered over two-dozen units, sinks and restroom trailers to be used seven days per week…for several weeks!
- Leaks and floods. In downtown Washington, D.C., water valve repair can cause a disruption in traffic and business. For the owners of one of the largest companies in the District experiencing this issue, one of the first calls was to ensure portable restroom facilities at their location to ensure the business day is minimally interrupted. Restroom units are un-obstructive in a busy downtown area as well as a crowded construction site.
For planners or point persons responsible for emergency and disaster planning, we are here to work with you on solutions for any emergency, crisis or disaster situation. Our fully staffed customer service call center is here to respond to requests 24 hours a day, seven days a week with a dedicated emergency service line, the largest inventory in the Mid-Atlantic region, and the largest fleet of trucks.
Fall is one of the most popular times to have an outdoor wedding because of the cooler weather and beautiful colors in nature. But planning an outdoor fall wedding can be tricky – between knowing the right number of restroom facilities needed to keeping your guests warm – things can get complicated. With 50+ years of experience in the industry, we have some insider tips to help ensure all your guests’ needs are met and your wedding day goes off without a hitch.
1. Proper Restroom Facilities
Many outdoor wedding venues don’t offer a sufficient amount of restroom facilities for your guests, which forces guests to wait in long lines or walk a long way to the bathrooms. When guests are provided with adequate restroom facilities, they stay longer and have a better time. If you are planning on serving alcohol at your reception, it’s important that you increase the number of restrooms by 20%. If you know there are going to be a higher percentage of women in attendance (beyond 50%), increase the number of units by 25-50%. Additionally, it’s important always include at least one wheelchair accessible unit! For more guidance on choosing the correct number of restroom facilities check out our Event Planning Guide.
2. Upgrading from Standard to Luxurious
Almost as important as providing an adequate number of restroom facilities, is providing your guests with luxurious restroom trailers instead of standard units. Weddings should feel anything but standard and this simple switch is an easy way to wow your guests. The Don’s Johns’ luxury trailers come with amenities such as granite countertops, marble walls, shelving and climate-controlled heat and air. The trailers include a dual audio system that not only plays soothing music for visiting guests, but also ensures those waiting to use the restroom don’t miss any moments from your big day with three flat screen televisions. These trailers always give guests something to talk about!
3. Bathroom Décor
If you really want to get your guests talking, we suggest including a few subtle extras in the trailers such as, a bathroom essentials basket, monogrammed towels, fresh flowers or luxe soaps. Remembering small details like these create the finishing touches on a luxurious fall wedding. Guests will think they have transported from an outdoor venue to a five-star hotel!
Now that you know the industry tips to creating a luxurious outdoor wedding this fall, contact a Don’s Johns representative today for a free luxury restroom trailer quote. Let us help you with your special day!